Admission to Canadian school

1. Admission to Canadian school, college and University,

The admission process for Canadian universities varies depending on the university, course, and degree, but if you are considering a study program in Canada, you should know that the most basic step in studying in Canada is getting admission from accredited Canadian schools. We will guide you through the admissions process at Canadian universities and schools in a step-by-step manner. The most important step is for international students to be admitted to a designated educational institution.

In the first step, make a list of your preferred universities and schools, keeping in mind that the academic year in Canada runs from September to May. Some schools and universities use the semester system, with each semester lasting three months.

 Some universities offer summer terms, but with more limited timetables; choosing summer courses is usually optional.

The first semester begins in early September, followed by the second semester in early January.

If you want to take the first steps confidently, you should do your research on where you want to live, job opportunities, and the cost of living.

Visit universities’ official websites to learn more about them. Contact Unique Immigration Services if you need assistance finding the right universities.

Are there standardized tests to enter Canadian universities?

There is no standardized test for admission to universities or higher education institutions; instead, each university or college develops its own entrance exams and evaluates each applicant individually.

The following are the most common entrance exams:

SAT I and II (Academic Aptitude Tests)

MCAT (Medical College Admission Test)

LSAT (Law School Admission Test)

GRE (Graduate Record Examination) – for graduate programs

GMAT (General Management Aptitude Test) for graduate programs



Universities and colleges may request the following academic documents from you:


1- The official report card from the last three years of high school or any additional college you attended



2- A certified copy of your high school diploma or certificate (if available at the time of application)

3- High school grade point average (GPA) may be required in some cases.

 Read more about this in other articles

Apply for a study permit:

Steps to get a study permit in Canada:

1. Register with an designated learning institution (DLI)

2. You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to pay the Tuition –

Tuition fee ranges will be listed on your admission manuscript. If your first year of study in Canada extends into the following academic year, you may need to make an educated prediction regarding your tuition and expenditure due to the fact that most of the universities may increases the expenses manually.

 Fees for the following academic year are usually available in May.

You have enough money to pay living expenses for yourself and your family members. living expenses: If you don’t know your living expenses in Canada, a single person can live on $12,000-$15,000 CDN for a year. Add $4,000-5,000 for each additional family member.

Proof of Financial Means Documents

This list is taken directly from the IRCC website. These are only suggestions; you do not need them all.

  •  If you’ve transferred money to Canada, you’ll need to show proof of a Canadian bank account in your name.
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial institution that participates
  • Proof of a bank student or education loan
  • Your bank statements for the previous four months
  • A bank draft convertible to Canadian dollars
  • Proof that you paid your tuition and housing fees
  • A letter from the person or school who gave you the money
  • If you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program, you must provide proof of funding from within Canada.

You have prepared round-trip tickets for yourself and your family

 You do not have a criminal record, and in this case, you must provide a police certificate.

You are in perfect physical health and

Be able to prove to the officer that you will return to your country after completing your studies

How to apply for study permit?

Depending on the nation that issued your passport, your Study Permit application will automatically include an application for either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Travel to Canada requires either a TRV or an eTA.

Your study permit application must show the officer that you are coming to Canada temporarily, that your goal is to study, and that you have the financial means to cover your tuition and living costs while you are here.

When should a student apply for a permit?

If you apply for the first time you should apply at least 6 months before your academic year starts. If you want to continue your studies in Canada, you must apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before it expires.

As soon as you accept a university’s offer of admission, you can start the application process for a study permit. You might need some time to gather the application’s supporting documents. Reviewing your application checklist(s) is a smart idea as a first step. Processing times with IRCC can be unpredictable. So, it makes sense to get started as soon as you can.

Extend study permit, or restore status:

How can I extend my student status?

If you want to stay in Canada for a longer period of time, you must renew your study permit.

You should apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your current permit expires. However, we recommend that you apply more than 30 days before the expiration date.

A valid study permit is required if you need to renew your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or health insurance. If you wait until only 30 days remain, you may have difficulty renewing these because your study permit will have expired.

Check the processing times to see how long it may take to extend your study permit.

Learn how to apply for an extension of your study permit.

Work while studying

If your study permit does not include work conditions, you can request that they be added if you are eligible to work off campus. There is no cost to include these conditions in your permit.

Before you can apply for a SIN number from Service Canada, you must first request an amendment to your study permit

How many hours can you work away from campus?

During regular school semesters/terms

You have the option of working up to 20 hours per week. You can work more than one job to make up these hours as long as you follow the terms of your study permit.

During the school year’s scheduled breaks

If you’re on a scheduled break, such as the winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week, you can work full-time. You are free to work overtime or two part-time jobs that add up to more hours than usual.

To work full-time, you must be a full-time student both before and after the break.

You cannot work during the break preceding the start of your first school semester.

How many hours are considered full-time work?

There is no set number of hours per week that constitutes “full-time” employment. Your employer(s) must, however, follow all provincial laws regarding overtime pay and time between shifts.

If your program lacks scheduled breaks, you only can work for 20 hours per week. The weekly limit of 20 hours has been removed.

During regular school terms, international students in Canada are usually only allowed to work 20 hours per week off campus.

You can work extra hours off-campus as an international student in Canada between November 15, 2022 and December 21, 2023 if you meet the following conditions:

1. You are a full-time student at an designated learning institution (DLI).

2. You used to be a full-time student who is now a part-time student in the last semester of your program.

3. You have been enrolled in an eligible study program for at least 6 months or more.

Your program ends with the award of a degree, diploma, or certificate.

4. You have started the course

5. You have a Social Security Number (SIN).

Your study permit allows you to work outside the university. Limits are usually set to encourage students to focus on their studies. However, not all students, study programs, or situations are the same. Many students find that they have more capacity, or that their current course load gives them enough flexibility to devote more time to off-campus careers. This new law allows them to do so.

Your standard working hours as an employee or student intern are:

A day has eight hours (each consecutive 24-hour period)

40 hours per week (period between midnight on Saturday and midnight on Saturday immediately after)

Each week, you are entitled to one full day off, which is usually Sunday. You are also entitled to periods of rest and relaxation.

When one or more public holidays occur during a week, standard working hours are reduced by 8 hours for each holiday.

Stay and work in Canada after graduation:

While IRCC processes your application, you can work.

If you have a work permit, you can work a full-time job until IRCC reaches a decision on your application.

had a valid study permit at the time you submitted your application, finished your study program, were qualified to work off campus without a work permit while studying, 

had a valid study permit at the time you submitted your application, finished your study program, were qualified to work off campus without a work permit while studying, 

Even if the 120-day validity time has ended, you have been permitted to work until a decision on your work request form is made. If you require proof of authorization to continue working, you can request it through a web form.

Travelling outside Canada & re-entering.

Get a visitor visa to return to Canada If you have a current study permit.

If you have any of the following, you may be able to re-enter Canada as an international student:

approval for a study permit or study permit extension with a valid study permit

International students who travel outside of Canada and then want to return to Canada should have a proper document. You may be able to re-enter Canada as an international student if you have any of the following:

approval for a study permit or study permit extension with a valid study permit

You must also meet all the following requirements:

You have a current passport or other travel document.

You are enrolled in a designated learning institution (DLI).

Depending on which document you require, you have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

You meet all of the other entry requirements for Canada.

Change schools

I’d like to change schools or study programs. How do I modify my study permit?

If you change schools or study programs, you do not need to change your study permit.

If you are in high school,

If you are transferring to a post-secondary institution and want to work while studying, you must apply to modify the terms of your student visa. This change comes with a cost. To accomplish this, you must apply for a new study permit from within Canada.

If you are a college or university student:

While you are not required to change your study permit, you must notify IRCC when you change post-secondary institutions.

error: Content is protected !!