Extend study permit, or restore status

How can I extend my student status?

If you want to stay in Canada for a longer period of time, you must renew your study permit.

You should apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your current permit expires. However, we recommend that you apply more than 30 days before the expiration date.

A valid study permit is required if you need to renew your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or health insurance. If you wait until only 30 days remain, you may have difficulty renewing these because your study permit will have expired.

Check the processing times to see how long it may take to extend your study permit.

Learn how to apply for an extension of your study permit.