Work while studying

If your study permit does not include work conditions, you can request that they be added if you are eligible to work off campus. There is no cost to include these conditions in your permit.

Before you can apply for a SIN number from Service Canada, you must first request an amendment to your study permit.


How many hours can you work away from campus?

During regular school semesters/terms

You have the option of working up to 20 hours per week. You can work more than one job to make up these hours as long as you follow the terms of your study permit.

During the school year’s scheduled breaks

If you’re on a scheduled break, such as the winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week, you can work full-time. You are free to work overtime or two part-time jobs that add up to more hours than usual.

To work full-time, you must be a full-time student both before and after the break.

You cannot work during the break preceding the start of your first school semester.


How many hours are considered full-time work?

There is no set number of hours per week that constitutes “full-time” employment. Your employer(s) must, however, follow all provincial laws regarding overtime pay and time between shifts.

If your program lacks scheduled breaks, you only can work for 20 hours per week. The weekly limit of 20 hours has been removed.

During regular school terms, international students in Canada are usually only allowed to work 20 hours per week off campus.

You can work extra hours off-campus as an international student in Canada between November 15, 2022 and December 21, 2023 if you meet the following conditions:

1. You are a full-time student at an designated learning institution (DLI).

2 You used to be a full-time student who is now a part-time student in the last semester of your program.

3. You have been enrolled in an eligible study program for at least 6 months or more.

Your program ends with the award of a degree, diploma, or certificate.

4 You have started the course

5. You have a Social Security Number (SIN).

Your study permit allows you to work outside the university. Limits are usually set to encourage students to focus on their studies. However, not all students, study programs, or situations are the same. Many students find that they have more capacity, or that their current course load gives them enough flexibility to devote more time to off-campus careers. This new law allows them to do so.

Your standard working hours as an employee or student intern are:

A day has eight hours (each consecutive 24-hour period)

40 hours per week (period between midnight on Saturday and midnight on Saturday immediately after)

Each week, you are entitled to one full day off, which is usually Sunday. You are also entitled to periods of rest and relaxation.

When one or more public holidays occur during a week, standard working hours are reduced by 8 hours for each holiday.

error: Content is protected !!